Just read this wonderful list from Beloit College of how their student class of 2009 will think. Here's my edited version.
Born in 1991:
- Freddie Mercury has always been dead.
- Mike Tyson has always been a criminal.
- The Green Giant has always been Shrek.
- They have never used a card catalogue to find a book.
- Margaret Thatcher has always been a former prime minister.
- Tattoos have always been very chic and visible.
- Rap music has always been mainstream.
- Someone has always been building something taller than the Sears Tower in Chicago.
- The KGB has never officially existed.
- Text has always been hyper.
- They have never understood the meaning of R.S.V.P.
- Europe has always been a Union and the euro is its currency (what's a deutsche mark?).
- Sex is fine as Madonna made it fashion.
- Condoms have always been advertised on television.
- There has always been a Cartoon Network and MTV.
- We have always watched wars, coups and police arrests on TV in real time.
- Amateur radio operators have never needed to know Morse code.
- Berlin has never been separated by a Wall.
- Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Armenia, Latvia, Georgia, Lithuania, and Estonia have always been independent nations.
- Chinese goods have always been in their home.
- There have always been flat screen TVs.
- Smoking has never been cool or a good thing.
- Nobody has been able to make a deposit in the Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) or Barings Bank.
- Everyone has always known what the evening news was before the Evening News came on.
- Britney Spears has always been heard on classic rock stations.
- Someone has always been asking: “Was Iraq worth a war?”
- Apartheid in South Africa is a history lesson.
- The conflict in Northern Ireland is a history lesson.
- There has always been an internet and a mobile phone.
- The fact that you can watch, listen and play music, films and radio over the internet does not amaze them – it's just the way it is.
Graduating in 2013 … watch out!