The news about Silicon Valley Bank is having an impact on banks and markets globally – and it wasn’t even the right answer to a question this week! The team spoke about N26, boiling frogs and Belgians (no, not boiling Belgians!!) and our singing quizmaster was back on form once again (or off-key, depending how you look at it ….)
Links to stuff we spoke about:-
- All the channels are full of the Silicon Valley Bank news – this is a shortlist of what we read from The Times, Sharesmagazine, CNN, Wolfstreet and Reuters
- SVB news overshadowed the news about Silvergate – which has hit the already struggling crypto-markets badly
- If you want to dig a bit deeper into reasons why both of these banks have suddenly collapsed, this makes for interesting reading
- Is what is going on with the youth in Belgium indicative of attitudes globally?
- What’s wrong with burning through $100 million a month? Klarna says it’s OK so it must be fine ..
- Can Railsr get back on track or have they finally come off the rails?
- Is Fintech an industry built by men, for men?
- Innovate Finance launched their Women in Fintech Powerlist on International Women’s day – take a look at the fabulous list of ladies shaking things up – now MORE please!
- Top execs were warned about troubles at N26
- Which probably had something to do with the exit of their Chief Risk Officer
- Take a look at Chris’s Hot or Not blog post for more insights into what really matters (or doesn’t) in FS right now
- Is China investable? Would you raise your head above the parapet when you could suddenly disappear for a while for no reason?
- NOT having deposit insurance is a feature not a flaw – seriously?
- What happens when you can’t convince your bank you are still alive?
If you enjoyed the show, please do share a link across socials to help us grow and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to be notified of the next episode!
Chris M Skinner
Chris Skinner is best known as an independent commentator on the financial markets through his blog, TheFinanser.com, as author of the bestselling book Digital Bank, and Chair of the European networking forum the Financial Services Club. He has been voted one of the most influential people in banking by The Financial Brand (as well as one of the best blogs), a FinTech Titan (Next Bank), one of the Fintech Leaders you need to follow (City AM, Deluxe and Jax Finance), as well as one of the Top 40 most influential people in financial technology by the Wall Street Journal's Financial News. To learn more click here...