Highlights and links
This week’s Guest Judge (and numbers nerd) Wasim Mushtaq former Transformation Lead, Financial Markets at Standard Chartered Bank, provided full transparency of his bespoke scoring system he applied – find out how our participants fared while they spoke about Amazon, Swift, Stripe, The White Stripes, Monzo, Musk, Karaoke, Iran, Russia, Zopa and lots more between the A-Z of Banking and Fintech news of the week.
See the whole show here:
Links to stuff we spoke about:-
- Why did Stripe attempt to raise on a down round and will they ever IPO?
- Amazon & Stripe double down on payments partnership – perhaps Amazon should just buy them?
- Maybe Stripe should sign The White Stripes as brand ambassadors if they get inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame this year?
- And maybe Musk should just add Stripe to enable payments on Twitter instead of building his own team
- Chris does actually come up with some pretty good raps – take a look at his Fintech Karaoke Challenge here
- And if you missed the reference to Tom and Anne’s alleged spat over chicken dinner then catch up here
- But all seems to be going well at Monzo these days with their attention grabbing news
- They aren’t the only ones though – remember ZOPA?
- Perhaps Iran should start rolling out Gold dispensing ATMS like India? Especially after this news
- Will the Iran / Russia collaboration impact SWIFT?
- It’s interesting that they are also talking about a gold backed crypto
- Yes, it really did happen – the Mastercard NFT product lead did resign by minting his resignation letter as an NFT
- The UK economy is in a bad way – is anyone surprised?
- Despite this, the Chancellor still wants to turn the UK into the world’s next silicon valley?
- So why then have they pulled Tech Nation’s funding?
- At least there is a ray of hope from Revolut for a change
- Chatty checkouts anyone? They are actually really positively perceived and are helping the elderly combat loneliness – don’t knock them!
- Crypto hacking seems to be a lucrative business for some
- We didn’t know Chris was previously involved with IOTA at the very beginning – we learn something new every day
- But this is NOT the way to make money from crypto (is there actually a way????)
- Do we need a DODO and a Mammoth brought back from extinction or is it a Colossal mistake (see what we did there?)
- Surely Meta IS making a colossal mistake with their Metaverse strategy?
- The other guy is intrigued by Lifetise though – check them out and let us know what you think?
If you enjoyed the show, please do share across socials to help us grow and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to be notified of the next episode!
Chris M Skinner
Chris Skinner is best known as an independent commentator on the financial markets through his blog, TheFinanser.com, as author of the bestselling book Digital Bank, and Chair of the European networking forum the Financial Services Club. He has been voted one of the most influential people in banking by The Financial Brand (as well as one of the best blogs), a FinTech Titan (Next Bank), one of the Fintech Leaders you need to follow (City AM, Deluxe and Jax Finance), as well as one of the Top 40 most influential people in financial technology by the Wall Street Journal's Financial News. To learn more click here...